Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Kite Runner


The Kite Runner

by Khaled Hosseini












Hosseini has a very straightforward writing style that allows the reader to identify with the narrator, as horrible as some of his thoughts and (in)actions are. It makes you think: Would I do the same were I in that situation? This story travels through post-soviet Afghanistan, through the reign of the Taliban, and ultimately to America. It is heart-wrenching and I appreciated that, although there was a small sliver of hope, it did not end on a contrived happy note. The narrator has to work for his redemption. One of the few books that made me cry, although I could not put it down. The book also helped me to understand some of the recent history in Afghanistan as well as the ethnic and religious struggles the people of the country live through. I would highly recommend it to everyone, although I would warn that it is a very sad book and has a lot of violence, including rape.

No comments: